Get to Know the Universe
The solar system is our local neighborhood in the Milky Way Galaxy.
- What Is a Solar System?
- Definition of Solar System
- The New Solar System: A Tour of the Planets
- Explore the Outer Solar system: The Oort Cloud
A planet is a spherical ball of rock and/or gas that orbits a star. Our solar system has 8 planets; in order of increasing average distance from the Sun: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. It also has a growing number of dwarf planets (Pluto is one!), countless numbers of comets, a flock of moons, and thousands of asteroids.
Stars are balls of mostly hydrogen and helium gas that shine extremely brightly.
Deep Space Objects...and Beyond
Learn more about nebulae, star clusters, black holes, quasars and other deep space objects.
- The Inescapable Truth About Black Holes
- Definition of Black Hole
- Want to Know how a Black Hole Swallows Stars?
- A Black Hole Cannibal at the Milky Way's Heart
- Cosmic Beauty