1. Education

Falling from the Edge of Space

By March 17, 2012

To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure how I didn't know about this. But in my search for cool space videos I stumbled across the Red Bull Stratos project. If you, like I, was unfamiliar, check out their website.

In short, they are attempting to skydive from incredible altitudes, with the ultimate goal of going beyond 120,000 feet. So far they have made a jump from above 71,000 (check out the video of the attempt here).

This is not all just for fun; there are serious scientific questions underpinning this effort. Very little is known about the effects of edge-of-space survivability.

Therefore with the data gathered rom this experiment, next-generation space suites may be developed, as well as new escape procedures should something go wrong in future space exploration missions.

As this project progresses I'll be sure to update you in the space, so stay tuned.

Image Credit: Jay Nemeth

Comments

March 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm
(1) Nick Zehner says:

Very cool Dr. M! I didn’t now about this either….might have to give it a try.

March 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm
(2) Alan Gornik says:
March 20, 2012 at 7:43 am
(3) Jack Fanning says:

In 1960 I jumped from 10,000 over Ft. Ord, California. I’m only 82. How do I apply for a position on this team?

March 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm
(4) Yolanda Silva says:

Somos especialistas en servicio de fisioterapeutas a domicilio en Bogota, Colombia hacemos su fisioterapia de forma profesional.

March 27, 2012 at 5:58 am
(5) 3D Astronomy Space Software says:

I’ve wanted to be an astronaut ever since Alan Shepard went into space in 61. Perhaps this is the closest I can get until my starship comes in.

Wow! 13 miles up. I’ve always been nervous with heights, except when I was in an airplane (even the lightweight kind). My palms are sweating just thinking about a 13-mile plunge. Yum!

Sounds like fun.

May 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm
(6) Oladipo Tola says:

Say something like that on the news..It would be a great fun, though scary, 71000feet aint no joke..He was like Clark Kent coming from outer space..