1. Education

Planets Mnemonic

By August 30, 2006

Many of us have used a simple memory device (or mnemonic) to help remember the names of the planets. I always used "My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas." Using the first letter of each word helped me remember Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.

Now, unfortunately, Pluto is no longer one of the nine planets. In fact, there are no longer nine planets, instead, there are eight. Now, my mnemonic no longer works. We need a new phrase.

Let's all put our heads together to come up with a new mnemonic. Visit our Astronomy and Space Forum and leave your best mnemonic.

Image Credit: NASA

Comments

August 30, 2006 at 8:08 pm
(1) Diane says:

Can’t we just keep Pluto and ignore the whole rucus??

August 30, 2006 at 11:01 pm
(2) chris25 says:

I sure heard the news and it’s just diappointing. What a waste that in grade school I’ve spent like hours and hours studying about that planet and after several years, they’ll just trash it. Let’s give justice for Pluto!

August 31, 2006 at 11:01 am
(3) Samantha says:

Pluto how can it not be one of our nine plants? So if Pluto doesn’t in our solar system then its really not complete. thank you.

September 4, 2006 at 7:35 pm
(4) john says:

well considering that this is a stellar problem i’m surprised that all other 8 planets weren’t discounted too the IAU is truly disappointing!!! (Clyde Tombaugh must be turning over in his grave) personally i feel that pluto is and always should be number 9

September 4, 2006 at 9:46 pm
(5) Bluehowler says:

C’mon people – get over it. Pluto doesn’t need to be classified as a planet to get respect – this is science at work – the ability to change and not become stagnant requires changing how and what we think AND what we THINK we know – you gotta love it!

September 5, 2006 at 4:02 pm
(6) Paul says:

Pluto does not behave like a planet, else I would be classified too. I orbit the sun and other objects orbit me. You’ve got to define it somehow. Even the astronomer who discovered Xena was an advocate of scrapping Pluto.
And a new mnemonic should not be that challenging.

I was taught “My very educated mother just served us nine peaches.”
How about “My very educated mother just served us nectarines.” ??

September 7, 2006 at 3:47 pm
(7) Kim says:

How about, “My very educated mother just served us nachos.”

February 3, 2007 at 2:19 am
(8) Lydia says:

I just came up with this one to teach some students:

My very excited martian just served us nerds

August 28, 2007 at 12:11 am
(9) Inhibitor says:

Just modify the other one…my wife and I changed it to “My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nothing”.

October 11, 2007 at 2:37 am
(10) amy says:

i fink dats well unfair doee cos dat was lyk sum cute planet so yh

get a life peps pluto rocks lol!

October 17, 2007 at 7:51 am
(11) Doc Hogan says:

According to the new IAU “rules” which define planets vs protoplanets, the distinctive characteristic is that planets have cleared their orbit of debris (mainly asteroids)

This is where I begin to have aa problem with this definition…not only is Pluto demoted from Planet to Dwarf Planet designation because of its travel through the Kuiper Belt, but by this new definition, it would seem that Jupiter could no longer be classified as a planet, due to the Trojan asteroids within its orbit (this argument stands for Mars, as well).

Ugh.

October 17, 2007 at 8:01 am
(12) Nick Greene says:

Doc,

You’re not alone in your thinking. Many scientists I know feel the same way. I don’t believe we’ve heard the last of this debate.

December 12, 2007 at 4:49 pm
(13) Ricky says:

Here’s a new poem for the 8 planets:

My very enthusiastic mother just sent us nickles

We hope you like it.
-Ricky, age 9

December 12, 2007 at 5:35 pm
(14) Nick says:

Ricky,

That’s a great one. Thanks for sharing.

March 18, 2008 at 9:10 am
(15) meredith says:

Here is a mnemonic for the eight planets that I came up with to teach my students

“My Very Enormous Monkey Juggled Seven Nuts”

April 15, 2008 at 11:14 pm
(16) Barb says:

How about this mnemonic for the eight planets?
“My Very Excited Mother Just Saw Uncle Ned.”

October 29, 2008 at 3:41 am
(17) Darcy Lonergan says:

it could be… My very easy method just set up nothing…

December 16, 2008 at 9:28 am
(18) bob says:

i think you are all very smart but u must have somethin better to then sit on here making up peoms about planetssss. just browsing for mmy homework ok byeee

January 16, 2009 at 3:57 pm
(19) TJ Geezer says:

To include the new dwarf planets Ceres, Pluto and Eris (izzat the same as Xena?), a Montana girl. Maryn Smith, 10, of Great Falls came up with the winning entry to the National Geographic Children’s Books contest: “My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants.” Credit Wired Mag for that info snack.

February 7, 2009 at 10:23 am
(20) Lillian Vang says:

My Saturday Enrichment student from the UW-Madison just came up with a mnemonic device for the eight planets.

“Many Very Excited Monkeys Jammed Sausages Up Noses.”

February 7, 2009 at 10:41 am
(21) Lillian Vang says:

I am a UW-Madison Saturday Enrichment Student, and I have come up with another Mnemonic device to remember the eight planets!

“Monkeys Visited Elephants Munching Juicy Strawberries Until Noon.”

February 11, 2009 at 10:20 am

Just Said
U are
Not a
Planet, Pluto

March 19, 2009 at 11:35 am
(24) Tsuchan says:

How about “My virtually exhausted mother just served us nibbles.” ?

March 31, 2009 at 4:28 pm
(25) Meeeeee! says:

the mneumonical by Phong rocks. How about
Many
Very
Elderly
Men
Just
Snooze
Under
Newspapers

April 22, 2009 at 5:16 am
(26) Matt says:

Many vicious enemies mangle jolly sore ninjas

May 4, 2009 at 6:25 pm
(27) Harley962 says:

I am told-often-that I am an alien (the kind that travel in UFO’s). This is true. I am waiting for the mother ship to come back for me, from Pluto! It is number 9 and it still IS. Some of the mnemonic suggestions are funny and good. Some do not flow for me, meaning I would not remember it, which defeats the purpose, so, while it is best if it has some relation to you or your way of thinking, I’M Thinking that the old one is fine. When you come to the end just remember that Pluto left and took the pizzas.

May 4, 2009 at 6:47 pm
(28) Boromir25 says:

I am told-often-that I am an alien (the UFO operating ones. This is true. I am waiting for the mother ship to return for me. I will be returning to Pluto, still a planet-it has to be or how can I go home? Good ole number 9!
Can’t we keep the mnemonic we already know and just remember that Pluto left and took the pizzas? It’s not like the whole order has to be rearranged.